Integrating Xero and Linx
Xero is a New Zealand-based software company that develops cloud-based accounting software for small and medium-sized businesses.
The Linx Xero plugin contains numerous functions and types that support working with the Xero Accounting API.
Using the Xero plugin on Linx
Example: Retrieve invoices from Xero
- You have registered on Xero and have an active Xero account.
- You have created an App for Linx on the Xero developers platform.
- You have created the authentication credentials to connect to your Xero app.
- Add the Xero plugin to your solution
- Drag the GetInvoices function from the Plugins panel (Xero) and drop it on the main canvas
- Add these properties:
- Name: Enter any name (unique to your project)
- Authentication Type: Select either 'OAuth1' or 'OAuth2'. The type relates to your Xero app: apps created before December 2019 used OAuth1, while apps created after December 2019 use OAuth2.
- Authentication properties:
- TenantID: Tenants are the organisations (small businesses) or practices (accounting firms) to which a user belongs and which they can access.
- RefreshToken: The token that is used to refresh the access token once it has expired.
- ClientID: Your unique client identifier.
- ClientSecret: The secret credentials that will be used to authenticate your connection.
- Authentication Path: The location of your authentication certificate file, e.g. C:\OpenSSL-Win64\bin
- Certificate Password: The password that you used as part of the certificate creation.
- Consumer Key: The Consumer Key that was created as part of the Xero-Linx App creation on the Xero platform.
- Consumer Secret: The Consumer Secret that was created as part of the Xero-Linx App creation on the Xero platform.
- Statuses: Click the edit icon, then select “Authorized” from the drop-down list– this will retrieve all Invoices that are still due for payment (irrespective of due date).
- Order by: Enter DueDate – the ordering default is Ascending – specify DueDate Descending if required.
- Return options: Select 'Item by Item'
- For connecting to a Xero app that uses OAuth2:
- For connecting to a Xero app that uses OAuth1:
Download some useful samples of Xero-Linx integration scenarios from the Samples section.
Getting Started with Xero and Linx (E-book) covers in detail how to establish a connection between Linx and Xero, including how to create the required authentication certificate.